- Kanwal Kakri / Bhae (lotus root) : 1/2 kg (after cleaning)
- National Iodized Salt : 2 teaspoons
- Onion (finely chopped) : 1 medium
- National Ginger & Garlic Paste : 1 teaspoon each
- National Chili Powder : 1 teaspoon
- National Turmeric Powder : 1/4 teaspoon
- National Coriander Powder : 1/2 teaspoon
- Yogurt : 1/2 cup
- Tamarind Pulp : 1 teaspoon / to taste
- National Garam Masala : 1/4 teaspoon
- Fresh Coriander (chopped) garnish
- Green Chili (chopped) garnish
Wash, peel and cut thin slices of the lotus root.
Bring enough water to a boil with 1 tsp of National Iodized Salt; boil the lotus root till it gets soft. Strain and keep aside. This process may take 20 – 60 minutes depending on the size and quality of the lotus root.
In a sauce pan heat oil and sauté the onions.
Now add National Ginger Paste, and National Garlic Paste; cook for a few minutes. Add National Chili Powder, National Turmeric Powder, National Coriander Powder and do bhunai, add a little yogurt at a time.
Add the boiled lotus root in half a cup of water. Add tamarind pulp as per taste and leave it for dum for 10 minutes.
Sprinkle National Garam Masala, fresh coriander, green chili and serve!