- Ghee (Clarified Butter) : 1.5 cup
- Green Cardamom : 3-4 pods
- National Vermicelli : 1 packet
- Milk : 2 cups
- Saffron : quarter teaspoon
- Sugar : 2.5 cups
- Khoya : half cup (optional)
- Pistachios (blanched) : 10-12
- Almonds (blanched) : 10-12
Heat the ghee on low heat and crackle the green cardamoms (whole).
Break National Vermicelli into small pieces and fry for 3-4 minutes till it is slightly brown.
Soak the saffron strands in 2 tbsp of milk for 20 minutes. Use the back of a spoon or a ceramic mortar-pestle to mash the threads so that a thick paste is formed.
Add the remaining milk to the fried National Vermicelli and simmer on low heat till it completely absorbs the milk. This should take approximately 5 minutes.
Add sugar and cook till it dissolves completely. Do bhunai till the ghee separates.
Turn the heat off. Add the soaked saffron paste, almonds, pistachios, and khoya. Mix gently but thoroughly.
Can be served at room or slightly warm temperature.